Life in the ROK

West goes East: The lives and adventures of a Californian couple living in Seoul

Monday, October 22, 2007

Mr. Choe brought some treats for the hike. These are boiled silkworm larvae, which we've seen around Seoul ever since we arrived but have been afraid to try up to this point. Working up the courage, you know. Mr. Choe said these are popular with the older generation who grew up eating them because they didn't have enough to eat in the years after the war. The younger generation doesn't have the same fond memories.
The Korean word sounds like cocoon and they are more scary to look at than anything. They have a firm consistency and not a bad taste, although I don't know exactly what to compare them to. Maybe chicken? You can also see the fading evidence of my bike crash last week. Don't worry, the bike is fine.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Whoa, Jay! I can't believe you went for the larvae. I guess it was bound to happen. I hope I didn't miss out big time by not trying them when I was visiting you guys. . .

3:29 PM  
Blogger *katie said...

EWWWWW!!! So gross. I shudder every time I look at the picture. Ick, ick, ick.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home