Life in the ROK

West goes East: The lives and adventures of a Californian couple living in Seoul

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Last night we went to the 18th MEDCOM Christmas Ball. It may be the last ball we go to in the Army so we thought we would get all the duds on once more. Amazingly, Colleen still fit into her party dress that she wore to the prior two balls we attended. Good thing the ball was last night... maybe she wouldn't fit next week.
In front of the lovely phoenix ice sculpture. Or maybe an eagle. Below, the crew from the Emergency Department: The Chief, SSG Alexander (my NCOIC--NCO in charge), SPC Charlton, PFC Neubauer, and finishing on the right, my star Katusas CPL Oh and CPL Kong. SSG (E-6) and below didn't have to wear uniform to the ball; SFC (E-7) and above did.
PFC Neubauer and CPL Kong were just promoted that day. Congratulations! That's an extra stripe, extra pay, and an open door to greater responsibility and success. Katusa is an acronym for Korean Augmentee to the US Army. Katusas have been serving with us since the Korean War. They are chosen for, one, their English skills and are generally very smart and capable. My Katusas, including CPL Jung who was working, are the best the in hospital. They are doing their two years military service, which every South Korean man must do by law. We all had a swell time. If I were Chief next year too, I would promote the ball better to my staff and bring a larger crew to wreck it up.
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger *katie said...

Colleen--you look beautiful and Jay you look handsome! (a little silly too, in the last picture).
I'm so excited to see you both...and of course little Baker too!

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Colleen I love these pictures! I can't WAIT to see you in Cali!

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great 3-shot with the ice sculpture! Or, I guess it's really a 3+ 1/2 shot.
Bob

10:54 PM  
Blogger brooke said...

I love the weekly belly shots. Wish I'd been better at that! Good for you! You guys sure have fun over there!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home